Your web browser’s cache stores certain information about websites you visit, so that they load faster the next time you visit them. However, over time this cache can become large and unwieldy, and it can even start to slow down your browser. That’s why it’s a good idea to clear your cache regularly, to help keep your browser running smoothly. Here’s a quick guide on how to do it.
What is a cache and why do you need to clear it regularly
When you visit a website again, your browser can check its cache for this information instead of having to download it all over again from the internet. This can make websites load faster, as your browser won’t have to spend time downloading information that it’s already stored.
How to clear your cache on different browsers
Different browsers have different ways of clearing the cache. Here are instructions for some of the most popular browsers:
- Chrome: Go to the Chrome menu and select “Clear Browsing Data.” Select “Cached Images and Files” and click “Clear Data.”
- Safari: Go to the Safari menu and select “Preferences.” Click the “Privacy” tab and select “Remove All Website Data.” Confirm by clicking “Remove Now.”
- Firefox: Go to the Firefox menu and select “Options.” Click on the “Privacy & Security” tab and scroll down to the “History” section. Under “Firefox will,” select “Use custom settings for history.” Check the box next to “Clear history when Firefox closes.” Finally, click on the “Clear Data” button.
- Microsoft Edge: Go to the Edge menu and select “Settings.” Under the “Clear browsing data” section, click on “Choose what to clear.” Select “Cached data and files” and click on the “Clear” button.
- Internet Explorer: Go to the Tools menu and select “Internet Options.” Click on the “General” tab and scroll down to the “Browsing history” section. Select the checkbox next to “Delete browsing history on exit.” Finally, click on the “OK” button.
The benefits of clearing your cache regularly
As well as helping to keep your browser running smoothly, clearing your cache can also have some other benefits:
- It can free up space on your hard drive.
- It can help to protect your privacy, as it removes any information about the websites you’ve visited.
- It can speed up your browsing experience, as it clears out any old or unnecessary data.
- It can fix certain problems with websites, as it removes any cached data that could be causing the problem.
How often should you clear your cache for the best results
How often you need to clear your cache will depend on how often you use your browser and how much data is stored in its cache. If you use your browser regularly, then it’s a good idea to clear your cache once a week or so. However, if you only use it occasionally, then you can get away with clearing it less often. There’s no need to clear your cache more often than that, as it won’t really have any benefits.
How to clear cache on android
To clear your cache on Android, open the Settings app and go to the “Storage” section. Tap on the “Clear Cache” button to remove all of the cached data on your device. You can also clear the cache for specific apps by going to the “Apps” section and tapping on the app you want to clear the cache for. then tap on “Storage.” Tap on the “Clear Cache” button to remove the cached data for that app.